Friday, September 14, 2007

My Buddy Sierra-She's 4, and Sharp as a Tack!!


I was so excited to get a call from Sierra's mom, asking me to hang out with Sierra last Friday night. I was welcomed with squealing and hiding, so I was on.
The first game we played was "hot lava". The carpet was lava, then it wasn't, then it was, then it wasn't. Once she was laughing hysterically at my confused "fearful of hot lava" frenzy, 'we' decided that the downstairs was lava, and the upstairs was not (I was working toward getting her into bed, you see). So, finally in the bedroom, getting jammies on, and getting ready....making the bed, just this way, and not that, according to Sierra. Then, bedtime stories. One story, then another, then, lights out, and we are getting very close to sleepy bye. Well, it all appeared that way.... I was lying on the floor, in the dark, next to her bed, chatting with her, as she fell asleep. I was about to enter dozeville, when the real dialogue began:
Sierra: "Are you awake?"
Me: "un-huh...." (I think I am, anyway).
Sierra: "Can you hear the crickets?"
Me: "Oh yea, they're loud."
Sierra: "They sound like baby birds."
Me: "Yea, you're right."
Sierra: "Did you know that baby birds walk sooner and talk sooner than people do?"
Me: "Wow, I guess I never knew that."
Sierra: "My mom and dad told me that."
Me: "Wow."
So, more tossing and turning in her little bed, and more, very near what appeared to be slumberland for her, I think,.....and for me too.......even though I was on the floor.
Then, out of the darkness, and the sound of crickets:
Sierra: "Does c-o-y spell sausage?"
Me: "I don't think so."
Sierra: "What does it spell?"
Me: "It spells coy".
Sierra: "Well, then how do you spell boy?"
Me: "b-o-y."
Sierra: "Oh"
And the next thing you know, she was fast asleep.
To all of the wonderful 4 year olds out there figuring out their world through play, and discussing it along the way! My best to you always.




No comments: